If you’ve delved into the world of online casino gaming, you’ve more than likely come across Megaways slots.
But what are Megaways slots and how are they different from the other slot games you can find online? Read on and we’ll explain all. Here we tell you clearly and simply what Megaways slot games are and how to play them.
What are Megaways Slot Games?
One of the best aspects of playing slots online is the variety on offer. You’ve got a huge range of games to pick from, with every theme you can think of, and a wealth of thrilling features to enjoy. Megaways slots offer you even more variety by giving you a revolutionary way to play slots online.
Megaways slots use the unique Megaways game system that’s based on a random reel modifier mechanic. With every spin of a Megaways slot, the number of rows on each reel will vary at random, usually from between two to seven, changing how many paylines are on offer with every spin.
As well as the random reel modifier mechanic, Megaways slots offer a host of other features, typically:
- Cascading Symbols – Winning symbols vanish and new ones take their place, potentially helping you land another winning line without you needing to re-spin your reels.
- An Extra Top Row – Many Megaways slots offer an added top row of symbols, boosting your chances to win even more.
- Unlimited Multipliers – Lots of Megaways games offer an unlimited multiplier during free spins.
- Free Spins and other Bonus Features – Just as you’d expect with any quality online slot.
How Do Megaways Slots Work?
Like other slots, you win with a Megaways game by landing matching symbols across your reels. The more symbols you land, the higher the value of those symbols, and the more money you bet on each spin, the more you’ll win.
With most Megaways slots, you’ll need to land at least three matching symbols to win. The first symbol has to land on the first reel on the left, and then the other symbols have to land on adjacent reels. The symbols don’t usually have to touch and they can land on any row.
But the big difference with Megaways slots is that the number of rows on each reel will vary with every spin, most often with between two to seven rows of symbols appearing on each of the six reels. This means the number of ways you can win varies with each hit of the spin button.
How Many Paylines Do Megaways Slots Have?
A payline is a winning pattern of matching symbols that land across adjacent reels to result in a win. In the majority of Megaways slots, the matching symbols in a winning payline have to land from left to right across your reels. But the symbols don’t need to touch horizontally or diagonally – they can be on any row.
Most Megaways slots have six reels that randomly have two to seven symbols on them. If you get two symbols on every reel with a spin, you’ll have 64 paylines (2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2). If you’re lucky and get all seven rows on every reel, you have 117,649 paylines (7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7).
Every Megaways slot will feature a variety of symbols. They will usually be low and high value base symbols. The higher the value of the symbol, the more you win. You’ll also typically see a selection of bonus symbols too, like:
- Wild Symbols – Take the place of any other symbol, helping you land winning paylines.
- Scatter Symbols – Award a win if a certain number land anywhere on the reels and often unlock bonus features and games.
How to Win on Megaways Slots?
Wins on Megaways slots are usually awarded in line with the following rules:
- You typically win if you land three or more matching symbols across your reels.
- The first symbol has to land on the first reel on the left.
- The other symbols have to land on adjacent reels, moving from left to right.
- The symbols usually don’t have to touch, they can be on any row.
How much you win will depend on:
- How much you bet per spin (the higher your bet, the more you win).
- How many matching symbols you land (the more symbols, the more you win).
- The value of the matching symbols (the higher the value, the more you win).
- Whether any Multipliers are applied.
How to Bet on Megaways Slots?
Betting on Megaways slots works in the same way as other online slot games. Bet by:
- Deciding how much you want to bet on each spin, usually by pressing the plus or minus buttons to set the value you want.
- Hitting the spin button to set your reels spinning.
- You’ll win if you land three to six matching symbols on any row of reels that are next to each other, starting on the first reel on the left.
Megaways Slots Tips
There are no real winning strategies with online slots, whether you win or not with a spin will be determined randomly. But there are steps you can take to make the most of your online playing, like:
- Trying different Megaways games to find the themes and bonus features you enjoy the most.
- Making sure you understand all the rules of the slot game you’re playing before you bet – open up the in-game menu to see the values of the symbols and all the features explained.
- Trying the demo version of a game before you bet with real money, to make sure you’re clear on how it plays.
- Setting a maximum amount of money you can afford to spend and stop playing when you reach it.
What are the Best Megaways Games?
There are hundreds of Megaways games available, with so many themes and features to pick from. Which one you like the best will depend on your tastes, but these are some of the most popular Megaways slots:
Bonanza Megaways – The first ever Megaways game and one that’s still wildly popular today.
Gods of Asgard Megaways – A great-looking, Norse-themed Megaways slot.
8 Golden Skulls of Holly Roger – A premium, top-quality, pirate-themed adventure slot.
Wins of Nautilus Megaways – The Megaways update of this deep-sea slot.
Don’t forget to register for an account with us at Grosvenor Casino to play the best Megaways slots today.